Sunday, August 23, 2009

Little Man

I'm in love with my son. I know it's the makings of a Greek tragedy, that someday, he will betray my love by being insensitive to all that I have done for him. He'll stomp on my feelings the way that children do. He'll ignore me. He'll try to get away from me and be his own person. One day, he'll fall in love with somebody else. But for now, I am mad about him and I love it. He's undeniably handsome and when he throws a fit, he's all the more charming. Nothing makes me happier than to hear him scream out his dissatisfaction or sob because his perfect little world is somehow lacking. I guess that this is how every parent feels, my own included. I didn't know.

Alex is an astounding 4lbs 2oz today. I stopped by the Baby Gap and looked at normal baby sized clothes- not with jealousy or sadness, but with excitement. It may sound morbid to say that I had avoided buying anything for him that suggested a future because, let's face it, the odds were stacked against him. But, now I can look forward to waxing nostalgic about how tiny he used to be as I purchase size 3-6 months for him. One day, when he becomes a parent, I hope he will appreciate what this meant to me. 

2 comments:

  1. I love Alex's moxie. And I love to hear that you're allowing yourself a little futurethinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yessssss! So excited for you darling! Your & Mike's posts are making me cry (with happiness!) XO

    ReplyDelete